Wouldn’t it be great to get everything right the first time? Sounds good, but what fun would that be? Most people that come to Thriveal love to learn new things. So I want to pose a different question.

What do you wish you had started a year ago? Five years ago?

• Dumped timesheets in your firm
  • Started a blog
  • Lost weight
  • Gotten a business coach
  • Paid off debt
  • Joined Thriveal
  • Learned about social media
  • Read more books
  • Saved for retirement
  • Hired someone
  • Fired someone
  • Quit your job
  • Fired that horrible client

It’s not too late, you know. True, you may have gotten more traction had you started a year ago, but you can still make progress.

Recently, in Yammer (Thriveal’s internal social network), one of our members told a story about providing enormous value to a customer. His counsel saved his customer millions in taxes owed, but he only billed the customer for one hour. This happened over a year ago before he learned and implemented value pricing strategies. Yes, it’s a bummer that he missed out on being paid for the value he provided. He could pout and decide it’s too late for him, but instead he has learned a better way to do business that benefits his customers and him too. From here forward, he will certainly be more profitable. I admire him for making the changes that he has made.

This year we have made some changes to our team at our firm. Yes, it would have been better to make these changes a year ago. We would have saved some money and been able to do more for the team we have. We would have been able to do more for our customers too. But we have course corrected now and are on a better track. We can’t get stuck in the “if only” state of mind.

You can’t get stuck there either.

We all have something we could be doing differently. It doesn’t always have to be an earth shattering change. It may be a small step in the right direction.  It is never too late to do the right thing.

What change could you make now so that this time next year you’ll have one less “if only” in your head?

Business
Comments:
  • On 09-17-2012 at 9:55 am, Michael Wall said:

Great and timely article guys. Thanks.

• On 09-17-2012 at 10:36 am, Kevin McCoy said:

The best time to plant a tree was 25 years ago. The second best time is today.

• On 09-17-2012 at 10:42 am, Barrett Young said:

+1 to Kevin. And when’s the worst time? Someday.

There are so many things I wish I would’ve done a year ago. Hopefully, though, I’m working on reducing that list for future years…

Good job, Jennifer.

• On 09-17-2012 at 12:15 pm, Jonathan Godwin said:

Nicely done, Jennifer! Thank you for posting that. We do tend to get hung up on the “I wish I had done this sooner” track, but it does us no good. I found a great quote by John Foster Dulles…”The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it is the same problem you had last year.” I love that!

On 09-17-2012 at 2:51 pm, Jennifer said:

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone.

Great quotes Kevin and Jonathan!

• On 09-17-2012 at 5:04 pm, Joe Manzelli said:

Love this post Jennifer. I was thinking a lot about this the past few weeks and had made up my mind to make some changes. Now, with your wise words I know I will.

• On 09-18-2012 at 11:04 am, Julie Shipp said:

Excellent encouragement on so many levels. Well said.

On 09-18-2012 at 11:06 am, Jennifer said: