I wonder what Spike Jones would say?

Leave it in the comments, dang it.

• On 04-13-2011 at 6:39 pm, Joey Brannon said:

I appreciate spike’s comments and I think that in many respects he is right. However, it’s also true that communities don’t happen without common spaces. You get to know your neighbor and you get the opportunity to act neighborly in that common space called the front porch. For us the common space started on twitter and more common spaces were built in other places so the community could continue to grow and thrive.

While the builders of common spaces don’t create the community they do facilitate it. The successful ones know that facilitation includes not only the construction of the common space but the nurturing of the relationships that start there as well. My two cents worth. Cheers. Two days left.

• On 04-13-2011 at 7:14 pm, Jason M Blumer, CPA said:

We’re not truly sure of the jist of Spike’s comments. Maybe he is fed up with websites calling themselves communities when they are really just “revenue models” in disguise. I have to agree with that.

But I’m with you Joey, we need a place to begin our conversations. And for our generations (and younger) that is often online.

I think we have truly branched out to become a community though because we often take our relationships “offline”, meet together, grown together and hang out. That is where real relationship (a.k.a. community) gets deep. We get to know each other, get on each other’s nerves and still care about one another.

God made us to be humans face to face… online is just where the community can get started.

• On 04-13-2011 at 7:54 pm, Chris F said:

Dude,
    Hell yes we are a community!!!
    We are a group of individuals with common interest/problems coming together to share our experiences with each other. That is how AA got started, and if AA is not a community, I am not sure what is. I am not up to speed on who Senoir Jones is, but to herd all the blogs into one category is not cool. I may be living on some other planet but I rarely hear the word “community” even used. Forum, alliance, group; I hear of, but not community. I was very pleased to hear you call this a community because the word has major meaning to me. If we can remember to leave our egos aside before we hit the “join meeting” button, we will all prosper from this kick-a$$ process. #changeiscoming

On 04-13-2011 at 8:33 pm, thriveal said:

Dude, preach it! You said it best:

1. Leave our egos aside
      2. Build community

spoken very well!

• On 04-13-2011 at 8:32 pm, Jody Padar said:

Forget Community….We are a “MOVEMENT!” I tossed out the question because I don’t want the thriveal community to get like that. Like any neighborhood, their are good ones and bad ones. We need to make sure we stay a good one…in the high rent district! I want to play on your block Jason and Joey!

On 04-13-2011 at 8:37 pm, thriveal said:

Preach it, girl! Let’s preach it at the next “Community” Call!

• On 04-14-2011 at 12:07 pm, Adrian G Simmons said:

I think what Spike may be trying to get at, is something similar I saw Simon Sinek blog about in a post called “True Friendship”. http://tinyurl.com/24v9se7

The gist, is that “connectedness” doesn’t automatically mean “community”. (Though they’re not mutually exclusive either.) And if we’re not conscious of it, the proliferation of social media could erode true community. For example, what does the word “friend” really mean, when everyone you’ve ever casually met is a “friend” on Facebook? (Which is why we’re starting to see services like http://www.Path.com emerge). As Michael Hsu recently blogged, words are important http://tinyurl.com/6c73blm

The true depth of human bonds, is the willing to sacrifice for each other. And those are the type of folk I believe are in the Thriveal community, which makes it a community in the true sense of the word.

“Won’t you be, my neighbor?” 😉

On 04-14-2011 at 1:01 pm, thriveal said:

Dude, some good points! Might bring this up at the Community Call.

• On 04-14-2011 at 8:32 pm, Kara said:

Looking at all of these great comments, I don’t think that anyone could doubt the passion – and that we do have context; meaning; and deep, meaningful interactions.

My guess on Spike’s position may be the motivation behind the communities. Are they starting them more for a popularity contest or filling a void, satisfying a need to belong?

If not for this community, I’d be sitting at a fish fry in the retirement community that I physically live, playing dice games instead of learning from all of you.

On 04-14-2011 at 10:14 pm, thriveal said:

You’re got that backwards. It’s you we are learning from!!

• On 04-15-2011 at 10:35 am, Kevin McCoy said:

The more we interact and get to know each other, the closer we get to a “community”. Right now we’re like a new subdivision, a few homes sprinkled here and there, new folks moving in, getting settled and starting to meet their neighbors. Pretty soon (already?) we’ll start borrowing shovels from each other.

On 04-15-2011 at 10:41 am, thriveal said:

Kevin, that is so cool, dude. I need a cup of sugar too.