As a Christian, personal accountability has always been huge to me as I continually seek to maintain integrity with my wife and kids.  I have friends that keep me accountable to many issues in my personal life.

Likewise, I need outside scrutiny in my business too. I have two coaches that continually grill me on the direction of my company, help me to better my skills and champion my future when the need arises. You don’t need to operate in your family and in your business alone. Often, staff can’t offer you the coaching you need, so you must look outside your firm.  There are seasoned professionals that can do this for you.

Meet my two coaches…

My first coach is Harry King of To The Edge Coaching.  He is really an Executive Coach, and we touch on almost any topic you could imagine.  I’m sorry its sideways, I’m using a new Flip Video Camera, and I don’t know how to turn the image yet.  Bear with me (and my apologies to Harry!)

My next coach is my marketing coach.  He is Gil Gerretsen of Biztrek Marketing Mentors.  He has developed a process called The 12 Triggers that operate within a group called the Guild.  Five business owners meet together each month and determine if we are properly following our Marketing Action Plan.  We all get to go around the room and grill one another (often, not an enjoyable experience).  The advice I get monthly from Gil and the group has been invaluable to help guide my marketing for THRIVEal and my own firm.

• On 11-14-2010 at 9:19 am, Adam said:

Jason, it is encouraging to hear that other accounting professionals see the value in coaches. People understand the need for accountants but I think that coaches have a tougher sell. As a small business accountant, people wonder why I would ever consider using a coach, but I have seen the same value it in that you have. A good coach is also a great referral source.

There are a lot of free resources, books, and marketing gurus on the web and they are good stuff. However, nothing beats the accountability of having a coach. In addition, a coach might see the obvious that one is overlooking.

On 11-14-2010 at 3:56 pm, thriveal said:

I agree, Adam. Coaches have a hard sell, and few see their value. But I can’t tell you how my business has grown and the great decisions I’ve made just by having someone to run things by. It’s worth every dollar I spend! Thanks for reading, Adam.

• On 11-15-2010 at 9:51 am, Gil Gerretsen said:

Thanks for capturing the fun interview, Jason. Glad I am not sideways like Harry! Gil

On 11-15-2010 at 10:03 am, thriveal said:

We’ll just call him “sideways Harry.” Thanks for agreeing to the interview!

• On 11-16-2010 at 12:26 pm, Joey Brannon said:

I’m a huge fan of C12 (http://www.c12group.com/) for this very reason. Those guys have kept me from making some pretty big mistakes and they’ve helped me grow as a Christian, as a business owner, a husband and father. Proverbs 15:22, Baby!

On 11-16-2010 at 9:36 pm, Jason Blumer said:

Joey, glad to see more guys investing in coaching! Life changing!

• On 11-17-2010 at 9:00 am, Harry said:

I’m getting dizzy

• On 11-18-2010 at 10:17 pm, Mike Campbell said:

Thanks for sharing, Jason. I’ve read so much about how your business coach has helped develop your leadership and grow your firm that it’s nice to know who they are. I highly recommend a business coach to any small business owner. They offer a level of transparency, coaching, frankness, and independence that employees, boards, and collegues just can’t match.

• On 01-14-2011 at 4:56 am, Joe Jordan said:

Thanks for creating these videos and as you know from my recent question, very timely 🙂

On 01-14-2011 at 11:37 am, thriveal said:

Dude, coaches are the key to success! I’m glad it helped.